Treatment for Rashes
Skin is the largest organ and sensitive to a variety of environmental factors. Here are a few FAQs about rashes your Valparaiso and La Porte, IN, dermatologist Dr. William Applegarth can answer.
What is a skin rash?
A rash is any type of skin deformity, such as small bumps, red patches or blisters. Most rashes aren't threatening but must be examined by a professional dermatologist from Applegarth Dermatology in Valparaiso and La Porte.
What are some symptoms and treatments?
Not all rashes are the same, so here are a few symptoms you want to be on the lookout for:
Symptoms can be any of the above or all of them and can manifest anywhere all over your body. Make sure you visit your doctor so that they may examine your rashes and treat you. Here are a few treatments:
- Anti-itch creams
- Moisturizing lotions
- Antihistamine medication
What are symptoms that may reveal life-threatening conditions?
- Your rash is accompanied with a fever: In this case, you need to rush to the emergency room. This may be an allergic reaction or infection such as shingles, scarlet fever, measles or mono.
- The rash is spread all over your body: This may also be an allergic reaction to infection.
- A sudden rash that spreads quickly: This may be an allergy, but if breathing is difficult, seek emergency care.
- The rash is painful: A dermatologist needs to be contacted immediately.
- If the rash is actually an infection: If there's swelling, crusting, painful, warm and has a yellow or green fluid, you need to contact your doctor.
- A blistering rash: Immediate care is necessary if they manifest around your mouth.
Need to speak to a doctor?
Do you have a rash? Call Applegarth Dermatology in Valparaiso, IN at (219) 548-0360 or in La Porte, IN at (219) 362-0161 to learn more!