Keeping Your Skin Clear
Acne is a skin disorder that is often chronic, reoccurring at unexpected and often inconvenient moments in your life. It causes redness, irritation, and sometimes bleeding from pimples on the face, and it can leave unsightly scars behind. If you have this problem, seek acne treatment at Applegarth Dermatology in La Porte and Valparaiso, IN.
About Acne and Its Causes
Approximately 50 million Americans are affected by acne each year according to the American Academy of Dermatology. It is most common in teenagers who are going through puberty because their hormones can cause overproduction of sebaceous oil in the glands that are attached to the hair follicles. That oil comes in contact with bacteria and dirt, creating red pustules (better known as pimples). Blackheads and whiteheads are also related to acne. Many patients have extended acne complications because they are tempted to pick at the sores, which makes the condition worse. Acne might also be caused by poor diet (such as eating fast foods), stress, and use of certain skin products.
How a Dermatologist Can Help
The team at Applegarth Dermatology in La Porte and Valparaiso, IN, routinely helps patients who are struggling with mild to severe cases of acne. These are some common courses of acne treatment:
- Gauging the severity of the acne problem (usually on a scale of one to four).
- Prescription of topical medication, such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or an antibiotic treatment.
- Prescribing oral medication that will treat the acne problem systemically (may include antibiotics or isotretinoin).
- Laser treatment.
- Chemical peeling for certain types of acne.
- Medically draining and removing acne cysts to reduce the chance of scarring and pain.
Keeping Your Skin Clear
After defeating a stubborn case of acne, you will likely be highly motivated to avoid a recurrence. These are some tips to help keep your skin clear:
- Eat better foods and eliminate fast foods.
- Don’t touch your face with dirty fingers and avoid picking at pimples or blackheads.
- Gently wash your face twice a day using the skin cleansing solution prescribed by your dermatologist to best manage oil in the skin.
Your Acne Solution
It’s very possible to have clearer skin when you visit Applegarth Dermatology in La Porte and Valparaiso, IN,—even if your case of acne is severe. Call (219) 362-0161 for an appointment in La Porte, IN, or (219) 548-0360 today to schedule an appointment in Valparaiso, IN, for acne treatment with Dr. William Applegarth.