Are You Suffering From Chickenpox? We Can Help
Dr. William Applegarth of Applegarth Dermatology is here to help you if you're suffering from chickenpox in La Porte, and Valparaiso, IN.
Do you have Chickenpox?
Chickenpox is most common in children but it can also happen to adults. If you never had the disease as a child and aren't vaccinated you can contract chickenpox as an adult. It is caused by the varicella-zoster virus and is highly contagious. It can spread through skin contact or through the air by an infected person's coughing and sneezing.
The typical symptom of chickenpox is red spots and blisters all over the body. This includes the extremities and inside the mouth. Other symptoms are:
- Feeling ill and irritable
- Loss of appetite
Symptoms typically last 4 to 7 days. If you are having these symptoms make an appointment to see us in our La Porte, or Valparaiso, IN, offices.
If you have chickenpox you should always call your doctor for advice, especially if you are pregnant or have a weakened immune system. Applegarth Dermatology can advise the best action for you to take. Some things you can do at home to relieve the symptoms of chickenpox include:
- Not scratching. It's important not to scratch the wounds because it slows healing and increases the risk of infection
- Taking a bath with added baking soda and oatmeal can help soothe the skin
- Over-the-counter creams and antihistamines can treat the rash and itchiness
- There are some antiviral medications prescribed by your doctor for chickenpox
It will take time and extra rest to fully recover from the virus, but Dr. Applegarth of Applegarth Dermatology can help treat the symptoms of chickenpox. Contact us for an appointment in La Porte, IN, at (219) 362-0161 and in Valparaiso, IN, at (219) 548-0360.